Job no: 545563
Position type: Fixed Term Appointment
Department/Office: Nepalgunj, Nepal
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, health
The Health Officer reports to the Chief Field office for supervision. The Officer provides professional technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the programming process for the Health Program in the field office and within the Country Program from development planning to delivery of results, preparing, executing, managing and implementing a variety of technical and administrative program tasks to facilitate program development, implementation, program progress monitoring, evaluating and reporting of results.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Support for program development and planning at the provincial and local government level
- Program management, monitoring and delivery of results at the provincial and local government level
- Technical and operational support to program implementation at the provincial and local government level
- Networking and partnership building at the provincial and local government level
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building of Government and partners at the provincial and local government level
Support to program development and planning
- Conduct/update situation analysis at provincial and local level for the program sector/s for development, design and management of health-related programs. Research and report on development trends (e.g. political social, economic, health) for higher management use to enhance program management, efficiency and delivery of results.
- Contribute to the development/establishment of sectoral program goals, objectives and strategies and results-based planning through analysis of health needs and areas for intervention and submission of recommendations for priority and goal setting.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical program transactions, preparing materials/documentations and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support program planning, results based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluating results.
- Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate the program review and approval process.
Program management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss operational and implementation issues, provide solutions, recommendations and/or alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decision. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts at the provincial and local government level to assess programs and to report on required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral program resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocation/goals, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
- Prepare regular/mandated sectoral program/project reports for management, and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
Technical and operational support to program implementation
- Conduct regular program field visits and surveys and/or exchange information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support, take appropriate action to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to provincial government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices on health and related issues to support program implementation, operations and delivery of results.
Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with Provincial and local health sector government counterparts and stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to enhance program implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to deliver concrete and sustainable results.
- Support to Draft communication and information materials for program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for health programs.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results.
- Assist with oversight of research and ensure results are available for use in knowledge products
- Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An Advanced University Degree in public health/nutrition, pediatric health, family health, health research, global/international health, health policy and/or management, environmental health sciences, biostatistics, socio-medical, health education, epidemiology or other health related sciences is required.
A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with two additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in public health/nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal and neonatal health care, health emergency/humanitarian preparedness, at the international level and/or in a developing country is required. Experience in health/nutrition program/project development in UN system agency or organization is an asset
- Fluency in English and Nepali language both written and spoken is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are:
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (1)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
Female candidates and candidates from under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Note that this position is for nationals of Nepal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advanced to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Nov 08 2021 Nepal Standard Time
Application close: Nov 21 2021 Nepal Standard Time
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unicef.org.